About three days ago, I woke up with an itch in my throat and headache. I knew I was going to get sick and in no time, I was sneezing and my body felt sluggish overall. I tried gargling with wild oregano oil to no avail. Then I tried rinsing my sinuses with a saline solution, still no result.
Finally, I searched the internets for other solutions and landed on earthclinic.com which provided me with more solutions that I ever thought of.

For a sore throat, 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar with 8 oz of water  seems to be the popular remedy and for sinus congestion, a tomato tea with hot sauce and lemon is also popular. And since my ailments were related I added the ACV to the tomato tea last night and I woke up this morning with less congestion and I easily discharged mucus from my throat. Infection gone yet? No.

Instead of the simple saline solution for my nasal rinse, I added a pinch of baking soda and a 1/4 tsp of hydrogen peroxide and used distilled (not brita filtered water!) water. As I rinsed a dollop of green mucus dropped into the sink and now I can breathe again. I feel no sinus pressure and my mucus is pretty clear.

The real test is to keep up with this regiment over the next week to see how or if my ailments subside.

Before trying these remedies, I considered going to a doctor...but only for a minute. I don't want to be prescribed with a chemical nasal spray that'll open up my sinuses but ignore the infection. And antibiotics don't treat the actual location of the infection as much as these remedies do.  The health care industry is making billions by keeping the population and their paying patients sick. We can either fight back by waiting for health care reform, OR we can simply heal ourselves with remedies that use common household ingredients and cost a fraction of pharmaceutical drugs.

Yes, we need to fix the broken health care system. Yes, we need a single payer solution to combat the profit motive. But we can't wait for the industry to rid themselves of greed and inefficiency.  They still have to pay nurses their $80k salaries, big pharm needs its cut and someone needs to pay for the overhead cost of  maintaining medical buildings. It's time for us to take health into our own hands.